One of my favorite days this time of the year is when Caley and I take half a day and reflect upon the year and dream about the next.
This is a day we get to reflect, dream, and believe for a great New Year. I’ve always been a huge proponent of taking this time of the year to reflect and make commitments for the New year and create positive change in our lives.
I absolutely love this time of reflection and dreaming with Caley.
At the end of the year we will ask ourselves:
- What are my fondest memories of 2013?
- What were the “big projects” I completed during the year?
- What were the defining moments during the last year?
- What did I procrastinate on and fail to get done?
- What books and mentors had the greatest impact on me? Why?
- Am I closer to my friends and family from my activities this year?
- What will be my biggest goals as I move forward into 2014?
- Where did I neglect to live up to the standards I set for myself?
As we prepare for the New year we will ask ourselves:
- What are my greatest dreams for 2014? What projects will these dreams require of me? What daily actions must I engage in to fulfill them?
- What standards will I live by, throughout the next year:
- Health Standards
- Family Standards .
- Financial Standards.
- Friendship Standards .
- Personal / Spiritual Standards
- In what areas of my life do I most want to grow in 2014?
- What books will I read this next year to achieve those growth goals?
- What mentors will I seek out to achieve those growth goals?
- What magazines will I scan and file to achieve those growth goals?
- What events will I attend to achieve those growth goals?
- What podcasts will I listen to, to help me grow?
- What will I do Monday through Friday to be intentional about my growth?
When Caley and I meet we always look at how we answered the above questions last year and discuss how we did. We then take each question and discuss them together. This not only brings us closer together as a couple but it enables our vision for the New Year to be united. This activity takes time but we truly believe it’s essential to our growth.
Proverbs 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people perish.
Spend sometime before the ball drops reflecting upon 2013 and getting ready for 2014.
I truly believe it will be your best year yet!